Thursday, April 5, 2012

"Are you just going to sit there and text?"

Okay so I totally sucked. And didn't make all that great an impression.
There I was: the snooty looking girlfriend with her sunnies pushed up on her head, sipping hot chocolate and busily tapping away at her phone.

But really, I had no idea how to react.
The part of me that had been so gung-ho and "I might suck now but I'm totally going to try this and be sporting about it" just totally froze.

When we got to the courts, my man's friend was already there. Brief hellos and all went fine and then we walked into the building. And I my insides just froze.

At the court nearest the entrance, there were 7- or 8-year-olds playing so well I could almost envision all off them stopping dead for a milisec and then laughing their asses off at me the moment I started playing.

I was snapped out of that horrifying thought by some guy who'd come over to say hi to my man.
"Oh that's one of the guys I usually play badminton with on the weekends," my man explains to me.
What?!
The only reason I'd agreed to play today was because I though we were only playing with a regular bunch of people, not his usual superawesome badminton kaki.

I mentally headslapped myself for not thinking of it sooner. What, did I think there'd be only one court at the place? Of course those fellas are going to do their usual Sunday morning thing even if my man wasn't joining them this time around.

For a little while I was like a deer in the headlights. I sat down on the bench next to our court and texted Hairy for help. What the heck am I going to do? Between the little kids who are so freaking awesome, my man's badminton kaki who are going to totally know I suck and my man's other group of friends whom he said weren't that great but were all a zillion times better than me, all I wanted to do was make up some excuse to leave.

And then Hairy texted back:
As long as you're wearing a knee-revealing skirt or shorts, you're fine.

Haha. Okay the lame joke really made me laugh at myself for making it such a big deal. And my man, with perfect timing, as usual came over to ask me if I was just going to sit there and text all morning?

And so we won a match against his friends. Mostly because I knew to just serve when I had to and pretty much got out of the way as much as I could after that...and maybe swatted the shuttle away whenever it came within arm's reach. I was actually pretty pleased with myself after that. After awhile, couples are a little hard pressed to find "firsts".

Well, I counted it as "the first badminton match we played and won together".

I suspect he doesn't quite see it that way.






No comments:

Post a Comment