Saturday, March 9, 2013

Grouchy on a Friday night

It's been about two months since I started my little rebound trip, and on some fronts, I can't believe it's already been two months! And the scary thought occurs to me that I really need to get moving on the romance front. (How people bound seamlessly from one relationship to the next seriously befuddles me.) On the other hand, I'm already beginning to tire of having to dress up, go out, be nice to people, and actually make an effort. I miss brunch and weekends of not having to leave the house to find good company.
My last weekend out felt like the epitome of everything I hated about being single and being forced to mingle by well-meaning friends and my occasional irrational fear of having a yawning chasm of a weekend with nothing planned.

Being okay with all the aimless crap hanging out with a big group entails
I guess one of the hazards of growing up on an island is that your social circle is a minefield of guys who go everywhere in shorts and flip flops.
S invited me along to hang our with a couple of friends who were coming to visit, and we were going to Marini's. Great! It was rare that we had where we were going planned out a day in advance, and since I've yet to go there, I was kind of hoping right now I'd be writing one of my food/drink posts about the place right now.
We get there, wait around for S and the friends visiting to arrive, only to find one of them in, you guessed it, shorts and flip flops. Really I swear I often wonder, what the hell is wrong with people? It took quite a bit of self control to not turn around and snap at him when he was defending his choice of attire to Kenny with a, "What? You guys look like you're dressed for prom or something." We weren't.
We'd walked almost all the way across the park at someone's suggestion of a nearby place, only to realise there was a dress code there too, so back across the park we walked to get back to the cars and head off somewhere else.

When random strangers try to chat you up
I'm supposed to be pleased with myself that people want to talk to me, right? Well, I often find myself undecided between feeling like Little Red Riding Hood being approached by the wolf, and some other kind of unsettled feeling about the whole paradigm of being chatted up and asked for my number that would take another post entirely to describe.

Being the single girl when another friend of a friend joins us somewhere along the evening
Somewhere along the way, there's almost always a friend someone runs into, or was called to join us or something like that. Tonight it was the latter, another friend of our visiting friends. I'd first been content to just quietly sip my drink and zone out watching tennis. Michael, as the newcomer introduces himself to the table, ignores me at first. Chunky, my biggest "go get back out there" cheerleader, looks at me meaningfully. That evening, he was trying to make me talk to new people. I wasn't in the mood. Somewhere later that night, when S was passing me my scarf that I'd carelessly left somewhere. Michael, who at that point had been dancing, for some strange reason intercepts and dances around with my scarf, wraps it around his neck and does some kind of "I'm fabulous" flip with it. That was incredibly disturbing in itself. Things only got worse when he asked me to dance, and then even further downhill as we all left the bar for supper.
As we walked, I unfortunately got stuck with him - to my chagrin, he'd finally figured out I was the single girl in the pack.
"Are you ok? Are you drunk?," he asks me two or three times. I was walking a perfectly straight line in my heels while he struggled along next to me. I didn't want to be mean, so the first couple of times, I quietly said I was fine, and asked if he was. On and on he went about how he'd already been drinking before he came to join us because he was entertaining some major client and he's creative director of his own company blah blah blah... And after the whole "why I'm awesome in 1 minute" speech which I'm sure he gave really often, he asked me again if I was drunk.
"Look buddy, I think I'm in better shape than you," I growl at him, and finally, he scampers off and launches into a repeat that same speech to Kenny.


No comments:

Post a Comment