Thursday, February 10, 2011

Creepy

I hate to think that my outlook is anything but cosmopolitan. But there's this guy whose somewhat extreme 'chivalry' that creeps me out. At first all the foreign post graduate students in my lab seemed pretty unfriendly. But after a couple of months, I've gotten pretty used to them and most of them are pretty nice. But then just before the break last week, I met this other guy. He isn't from my lab but is buddies with one of those in my lab. He's kinda cute but hell creepy.
It started the last Friday before the break. I was alone in the lab. And suddenly this guy walks in to get some super pure water thingy that's dispensed in my lab. While I'm busy trying to take my samples at regular time intervals, he decides to introduce himself to me and keeps talking and talking about what he does at the school bla bla bla. He gives me his card and tells me to call him if I ever have any questions or need any help. Even asks to add me on Facebook, and of course I tell him I"ll add him since he's given me his card. Here's this postgraduate fella trying to be nice and helpful to undergrads. Who am I to burn that bridge? But this was definitely making me feel a bit crowded. He even kept talking while I was trying to concentrate on my experiment. Anyways after a little while he leaves. And I thought I was finally rid of him.
I was. Until about 2 hours later. I'd just finished my analysis in the instrument room and was on my way back to the lab when who should walk out of one of the doorways just around the corner? Him!!! Agh! It's 5pm on the last day before a break. There's no one else around and I'm stuck with him! He follows me all the way to the lab, talking talking talking... saying stuff like "You're still here! You shouldn't be working. Your lecturer should. Pretty girl like you shouldn't be working so hard." Ick. Then as I'm cleaning up he stands there watching me, talking, asking me about myself. Urgh!!! At one point I actually said he didn't have to wait for me. But he did. So I quickly dumped everything into my locker without washing and wanted to get out of there as quick as possible. He waited until I was done, turned off the lights and all and locked the door for me. While it can be interpreted as just niceness...it was just damn creepy. He even walked me all the way downstairs. *shudder*
The other day he came in while another male friend was with me in the lab. He didn't say a word to me. But the next day when I was alone, he proceeded to talk to me again even when it was apparent that I was really damn busy with my experiment. This time I knew better. I made as little eye contact as possible and gave really short distracted answers.
I know in some ways I sound like I'm unappreciative of gentlemanly behaviour. But really, you just had to be there to get what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment