Sunday, February 27, 2011

Woman on Top

I always knew it existed out there in the big, bad world. But being in a girls' school kind of shields you from it for the first 17 years of your life. Especially if you've got no brothers. When you're also already a minority in a school where the existing policies ensure there are fair opportunities for girls, it also didn't seem that apparent to me.
But now, for the first time ever, I'm starting to feel what it's like to be in a situation where, whether the people doing so realise it or not, I'm being given less respect due to my gender. It hasn't happened in awhile, I think - this having a woman at the top of the ladder in this particular society.
I'll admit that perhaps my leadership skills are not infallible. Of course there's room to grow. But it doesn't excuse blatant disregard for my say in decision making, not bothering to show up on time for meetings I organize but expect me to be early for the less important ones they do, treating me like I'm just someone to do their bidding for them. As much as I'm aware of my own shortcomings, I cannot help but be quite convinced that such behaviour is just misogyny. Why? Well, my predecessor was even more disagreeable to all of us than I am. Back when I was their equal, I was included in decision-making, and while there were already some vestiges of sexist behaviour, it was not so obvious. And as much as they disrespected and didn't like the previous guy, they didn't dare climb over his head, and act as if they were the ones who got to call the shots.
Such chauvinistic behaviours really outrage me. So many wrongs in the world I wish I could make right: animal abuse, child neglect, poverty, education...well this is on the list, too.
And the most frustrating part is I'm not too sure how to deal with it. And by deal with it I mean desiccate the stupid little sausage-ego-fest and pound them to dust.
On one hand, I could easily shrug and say "Well, you losers are still going to be here, while I've graduated and moved on. Happy screwing yourselves over with your shitty attitudes." But then, I realised this won't be the last time I'll encounter this. If anything, the next time I'm put in such a situation, the stakes would be a lot higher. So yes, I'm still thinking of ways to crush their little boy-egos.

In the meantime, some interesting stuff I found when googling this issue:
http://blog.monicaobrien.com/deal-with-sexism-in-the-workplace/
http://www.newsweek.com/2010/03/18/are-we-there-yet.html
http://www.sofeminine.co.uk/key-debates/sexism-in-the-workplace-returns-d18004.html

No comments:

Post a Comment