Thursday, May 13, 2010

Trying to slow down

A few days ago, I argued with Josh that I wasn't going out of my way to look for work to keep myself busy during the holidays. I insisted that I do know how to enjoy myself and just take it easy. Well, now I see that I might have been wrong - agreeing to help a lecturer out with research over my holidays might have been more responsibility that I initially realised..and more work, too! I don't really know how academic research is usually carried out but I'm beginning to feel like she's setting me very unnecessarily tight deadlines. It's only been a week since I started helping her out and right now it seems like my deadlines are typically two days for each piece of work, after which I'm given the next one and so forth. Okay my first assignment was simple enough and it was reasonable to finish within two days. But the last one and the one I have to work on now seem like stuff I'd expect a few more days than that to complete. I mean, this stuff is like actually reading up on things and looking for relevant information and stuff. If people could do all this reading so quickly, wouldn't all academics be churning out papers each month?

No comments:

Post a Comment