Friday, March 4, 2011

colossal.waste.of.my.time

I wonder if all interviews are like this. I'm guessing not. After all, if it's a job that lots of people want and the company is in a position to ask "Why should I pick you over the other [insert huge number here] people who are lining up outside the door?", I doubt the interview would go this way.
In the interview I went for the other day, it wasn't nearly this bad. It was for a sales job, which I'm not too keen on. But by the end of the interview, I actually had quite a bit of respect for the guy interviewing me. I could see why he was the boss. He'd done a good job of selling me that job!
But today, I went for another sales job interview. (Why on earth do these people keep calling me for sales jobs? Bear in mind, these are all happening at career fairs in my uni...I'm not really seeking these sales jobs out.) And really by the end of the interview, I just felt like telling the guy, "Thank you for that colossal waste of my time." It was a crummy job. With lousy benefits. The first annoying thing was that the person who called me up yesterday to ask me to go for the interview told me it was sales and marketing. Fair enough. I went today. The sleazy looking fellas at the fair couldn't be bothered to answer my questions, and just basically told me to sit down and fill in the form - which was pretty much a questionnaire. Then I had to follow one of them to the other exam hall where interviews were being conducted. I don't know if it's my ciak-ness or if he's just really desperate for employees or if he's just a pretty lousy salesperson. I ended up being the one asking the questions. And he ended up being the one with the less than satisfactory answers. And it wasn't even a sales and marketing job as in an actual sales and marketing job. It's the kind of job I'd put in the category of being an Avon lady or a Tupperware member and so forth. Fun if it isn't your only source of income...or you work so super hard at something that isn't particularly...chic. I can't think of a better word to describe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment