Thursday, March 31, 2011

Stress Eating

I never thought I did it. Until I started writing my thesis. Then in retrospect, I think I've done it a lot over the years.
I almost never open junk food. Have some when someone's already opened a bag or a can, maybe. But I never open a fresh pack myself - to avoid getting started in the first place. But every time a particularly stressful deadline approaches, I find myself having a whole bag of chips or some other kind of junk food to myself.
Today was an insanely stressful day. I woke up in the middle of the night, worried for no apparent reason. I couldn't get back to sleep for awhile. When I finally got up again in the morning, I switched on my phone and found I had voicemail from my man. On it, he was talking to someone else -he'd pocket dialed me- and it sounded like he'd been in an accident. The good bit was he sounded fine. But all the same, it was distressful knowing he'd been in an accident. For the first time I'm really REALLY REALLY hating being so far away. All I can do is call him to know he's okay, listen, and worry for him. This sucks.
Then there was the interview. Okay, I'm not really crazy about getting this job, but no harm in trying to ace every interview I go to and have my pick of jobs, right? I liked my interviewer - she painted a very realistic yet promising picture of the job and how it would agree with my aspirations. By the end of the interview, with a clearer idea of what they were hiring me for (more about this company's somewhat messy recruitment procedures some other time), I kind of felt like this was something I wouldn't mind trying out.
And then there's the test tomorrow. Which I should be studying for. But I just can't seem to settle down and read. I'm still shaken by what happened this morning, despite my not being directly involved.
I went to the kitchen and opened a packet of twelve biscuits. I'd already munched three before I even got out of the kitchen. That's when I caught myself. This is totally me eating because I'm stressed out. I took out another three to bring with me to my desk and put the rest back into the box and left them safely in the kitchen. Yes, I shall put my laziness to some good use.

No comments:

Post a Comment