Monday, May 23, 2011

Travelling by bus

My first day of having absolutely nothing to do! :) Which probably means I'll be blogging more.

I spent most of last week in KL. The trip down was better than usual. This was my first time using Aeroline. It wasn't as great as I'd expected, but then again, I think I was expecting a little too much! The staff (there was only one guy doing all the running around) was really friendly and helpful. Upon getting on the bus, we get one bottle of mineral water. A little while later we got a packet of food: two slices of bread, a packet of jam and two slices of ham. I'm told the menu varies...some friends have told me they've gotten food from Subway or The Chicken Rice Shop before. I'm assuming that varies with the time of the trip, too. This was kind of like breakfast for us.

The same problems I have with most types of travel still persist: strong smells in enclosed spaces. Yet another reason I liked the food we got - no pungent smells. The onboard lounge wasn't as great as I expected. It was pretty cramped and would probably be cozy if everyone in there were your friends...but with strangers...not so great. But yes, it was definitely more comfortable than taking the regular bus. The fact that it only stops once and there's an onboard toilet really cuts down the travel time, thus reducing the amount of time I have to tolerate the constant motion and the smells in cramped spaces. A hot drink provided helped a bit. We had a choice of coffee, tea or Milo.

The movies shown were also much better than the usual morbid crap I've had to tolerate on previous trips by bus - the last time I went to Johor I had to watch (or rather, try to not watch) one of the Ong Bak movies. Another trip, I think to Melaka, it was 2012. Oh and lets not forget how I've ended up watching Bangkok Dangerous twice. On buses, of course.. and National Treasure, too. Hmm...Now I've just realised two things: Nicholas Cage seems to be a popular bus movie choice, and wow I've taken the bus quite a lot, eh? Sure, it makes me feel so much better watching all these movies when I'm already an anxious traveller. So yes, The Devil Wears Prada, some other comedy and several episodes of Grey's Anatomy were a pleasant change.

More about my stay in KL later I guess. Lazy liao.

No comments:

Post a Comment