Monday, June 13, 2011

I'm too aweseome for this job

Yes I can be arrogant and cocky. And it usually comes out when someone is arrogant and cocky towards me.
I woke up in the morning knowing that I wasn't particularly keen on this job. Low pay, lousy location and not in a field I'm particularly interested in. But heck, they called me. And it's fairly close to home. It'd be my backup job if all the ones I'm really vying for fall through.

Never mind. Trial run for my new shoes that I want to wear for my other interviews.

Anyways the place was okay I guess. Typical small office. I go in and someone immediately sends me to my interviewer. She doesn't strike me as awful...just someone who has been thrown into a position where she has to struggle to maintain some image of awesomeness without having been given the tools to be awesome. Sounds a bit weird right? Okay let me make it a bit clearer.
This was one of the offices of an mnc (a mnc? That sound's weird because pronouncing M sounds like am which sounds like it starts with a vowel which makes it seem natural to say 'an' but do you write 'an' or 'a'?).
Back to point. This was the office of an mnc. I can't even say the usual interview questions were asked. She repeatedly badgered me about why would I want a job that isn't related to chemistry? Why did I choose this job? How did I come here today? (Read: do you possess your own transport?) And after like the first two times of proper, polite answers I really felt like telling her, "Lady did you forget you engaged the services of a recruitment agency and you're the one who sought me out, not the other way around?"
Anyway, next she gives me some no-brainer test. She's all like how some people don't know how to do these things and like as if it's so difficult to understand and so she has to see if I've got what it takes. She gives me a pile of papers and writes down on a blank sheet four things I'm supposed to find out from the stack of papers. When I look at it I feel like laughing.
1. What kinds of documents are these?
Swt. Lady, the answer is written at the top of at least the first page of every document. Are we testing me to see if I went to primary school?
2, 3 and 4 were similarly stupid questions whose answers were found also at least on the first page of every document and also on the cover of the folder. =.= See what I mean about no tools for awesomeness? Aren't these people usually provided with some kind of somewhat standardized test? Oh it gets better...

Of course, what interview at an mnc would be complete without some form of English assessment? What did I have to do? Write an essay about what I did that morning. Just to prove that my written English is as good as my spoken English and that I've got good grammar. Uh...that's why we were forced to take MUET (okay so I'm lazy and stingy and didn't want to take IELTS on top of that) and English papers in uni (She didn't even want to look at the results of these...come to think of it, I'm not sure if she's aware these exams exist.). I felt like writing something really mean, similar to the beginning of this post as my essay. But I behaved myself and saved that for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment